Connect with us

U.S. News

Biden Pushes Ahead on Student Loan Forgiveness After Initial Setback

Published

on

Clear Facts:

• Biden’s second attempt at student loan cancellation is underway with a new round of hearings.
  • The negotiations, called the negotiated rulemaking process, are set to guide the Education Department on loan relief after a Supreme Court rejection.
  • Details of the new plan, including eligibility and relief amounts, remain undetermined and will be shaped by the input of 14 appointed negotiators.

President Joe Biden hasn’t given up on the fight to alleviate student debt.

Starting this week, 14 negotiators handpicked by the administration are set to engage in the initial stages of a series of hearings.

Their mission? To establish a robust path forward after the Supreme Court shot down Biden’s initial loan relief initiative in June.

These negotiators, all from outside the federal corridors of power, represent a diverse array of views on the student loan debate.

Included in the mix are college representatives, loan servicers, state officials, student voices, and heavyweight advocacy groups such as the NAACP.

This new trajectory arises after Biden’s original approach – invoking the 2003 HEROES Act – failed to gain judicial approval. Instead, this latest effort pivots on the comprehensive Higher Education Act.

The Act furnishes the education secretary with the authority to waive student loans, but the full scope of this power remains legally ambiguous.

By undergoing the negotiated rulemaking process, the department aims to offer clarity on how this loan cancellation ability can be utilized.

Uncertainty still clouds the horizon regarding who will benefit from this plan and to what extent.

The detailed blueprint will emerge only after extensive consultation with the negotiators.

The sessions, spaced out over a few months, are projected to wrap up by December.

“As inflationary pressures on operating expenses continue and the effects of a previously defective pricing model are still being felt, these price adjustments are needed to provide the Postal Service with much-needed revenue to achieve the financial stability sought by its Delivering for America 10-year plan,” the USPS remarked.

Once these negotiations conclude, the stage is set for a pivotal vote on the draft rule, an amalgamation of insights gleaned from their discussions.

If they achieve a consensus, the plan proceeds.

If not, the Education Department takes the reins and puts forth its own strategy, subject to public commentary before finalization.

Last year’s ambitious blueprint would have erased up to $20,000 of federal student loans for those with incomes under specific thresholds.

But it met with fervent opposition from Republican corners, who decried it as unduly favoring college graduates at the expense of non-college attending taxpayers.

Despite this pressing issue, Education Secretary Miguel Cardona remains tight-lipped about whether the finalized rule will see daylight before the presidential election next fall.

Yet, he emphasizes a swift approach, remarking in an AP interview that the court’s ruling “will have to factor in to the steps we take moving forward.”

Signaling the urgency of the situation at a White House briefing, Biden pinpointed the growing concern of rising interest on student loans.

He lamented the plight of countless graduates who, despite years of repayments, find their debts swollen by interest, often owing more than their original borrowed sum.

“My administration is doing everything it can to deliver student debt relief to as many as we can, as fast as we can,” Biden declared.

As the clock ticks, these appointed negotiators are poised to convene virtually for intensive two-day sessions scheduled on October 10, November 6, and December 11.

We want to know what you think! Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Source

25 Comments

25 Comments

1. susan howden

October 16, 2023 at 6:40 am

We were obliged to pay back student loans for our children and they in turn paid off their portion of debt. Why should I now be required to repay someone else’s child’s loans. Taxpayers should NOT be on the hook for discriminatory debts of working and/or not working (in forbearance) adults!

• Real Christian

October 16, 2023 at 8:10 am

But yet, wealthy billionaires get tax cuts and breaks and no one seems to be upset about THAT! Poor and middle class Americans are in the struggle for their lives, trying to keep up. Yet people want to deny them, but have no issues with putting more money in the hands of those who already have abundance! I don’t get it America. Is the hatred that strong? And, by the way,I’ve paid off 2 student loans by myself. I’ve also beat cancer by myself and don’t begrudge the next person a break from enormous medical bills. Geeesh people, what is so wrong with a bailout for poor/middle class Americans for a change? Yall need to ACT more Christian-like!

2. Chad Stuart

October 16, 2023 at 7:07 am

When I graduated from college I started working as a Deputy Sheriff. At the time I was bringing home $800 a month. I took out student loans and when I signed off on the loans I knew I had to pay them back. Well, I did what I was supposed to do. I worked 2 & 3 jobs until I paid off every cent that was owed. The government did not help me with anything. It was my responsibility to pay my debt and I paid it. Joe Biden thinks the average middle class working people should pay someone’s loans. Then they say it will not cost the American people anything. That’s a load of crap, someone has to pay for it. Everything cost nothing is for free. This is a low blow for Biden make us Americans pay for someone else’s debts. If I have to pay other people’s bills who is going to pay mine?? I have a mortgage and a car loan, who is going to pay them? Lastly if I have to pay for a MBA and a PhD I want the diplomas!! Biden and Hunter should use that money they got from bribes to pay people’s loans. It’s not right and he had been told it’s not legal but he’s playing the system.

3. Jim B

October 16, 2023 at 8:30 am

All college students know in advance of signing for a college loan, what the expectations are, and will be required to pay it off themselves. This is a slap in the face for those students who’ve worked hard at side jobs to pay for their college tuitions. Unless you’re guaranteed a job in the field of your college credits, the time spend is a waste of your time and money! Trade skills and the Military are the best investment for a students career and America! I served in the US Army, worked hard for my retirement, many of us have, and didn’t need a college degree for it!

4. Joanne Martin

October 16, 2023 at 8:44 am

Unbelievable! This is insane! Every person who paid their debt should March to the WhiteHouse and confront this brain dead president. One of the most unfair place to spend taxpayers money! You signed for the debt – you pay the debt!!

5. Donald

October 16, 2023 at 8:59 am

I think the telling aspect of this story is the mnake up of the negotiating team. Then if the solution they derive is not acceptible then it goes to the Dept. of education!.

6. Lloyd Pritchett

October 16, 2023 at 9:02 am

This is another example of how Dictator Biden ignores laws. If he doesn’t like a law, he just ignores it and nobody has the balls to stop him!!

7. Gerald Scott Ladd

October 16, 2023 at 9:59 am

Biden buying votes. That’s all this is.

8. Charles Nuss

October 16, 2023 at 10:00 am

This is in NO WAY fair to everyone that has gone thru the responsibility of committing to pay back their loans for their education. This will only increase the separation of the way people think that they are owed something they didn’t earn. If it’s not broke don’t try to fix it. If you can’t pay for it don’t do it!

9. 3Xe1ioaiNITxtqNW5CaZEzpxpY4ggtEQJVxO4x0v98I=

October 16, 2023 at 10:40 am

student ARE NOT the only one’s suffering INFLATION
    the taxpayers are also suffering inflation and
    the PARENTS supporting the students also suffering inflation
    one batch of students is NOT going to make or break the bank
    just pay it back you borrow you pay back simple
    and what about the next group of students and the one’s after that
    is this going to apply to all afterwards or just to the ones now for votes
    another joe biden scheme to get votes his lies,

10. Loretta

October 16, 2023 at 10:47 am

If Biden is so concerned then get at the root cause! College tuitions itself and books. Make all colleges free to low income families! If you make under 80000 married + # of dependents and 40000 single + # of dependents your kids go to college for free and use a calculation for the number of dependents you have then pay a percentage. Also, all foster kids released at age 18 from the system get a free ride to college. Also NO Student loan money should go to college sports! Its strictly for the students books and tuition! Illinois state colleges take money from student loans to pay for their football teams depriving kids from tuition and books! Those families who make over 40000 and 80000 will have to pay. We made 140k and we helped our kids. The rest was student loans. With student loans the payment needs to be reasonable. My oldest payment was 750 per month. That is ridiculous! Payments should be capped at 250 per month. I paid on my student loan for 20 years and so did my husband. The difference is that our payments were never over 250 per month. And after 5 years of a good payment history the interest rate was dropped to 0.5% so the majority of payment went to the loan balance. I owed 35000. Husband owed 50000.

• inyoface

October 16, 2023 at 2:55 pm

Loretta, what your stating is still making WE taxpayers subsidize student DEBT ! Whether it’s free education or low interest, the taxpayers STILL PAY. Why not just make the one’s receiving an education PAY, since they are the only one benefitting (totally fair). Student’s should be required to take a course before entering any student debt to learn what’s involved taking on that debt and WHO’S RESPONSIBLE.

• Daniel Gray

October 16, 2023 at 3:19 pm

Please explain to me just HOW Biden is going to go tell a public university or private one for that matter, that they must now offer a college education for free? He is not a king and as such he has no legal nor constitutional authority to do any of this

• Jeremy

October 25, 2023 at 7:04 am

There is a very good program that will pay for college tuition. It’s called the GI Bill.

11. nevin snell

October 16, 2023 at 12:03 pm

how about people with home mortgages, can we forgive this to, witch is more important to the people?

12. Patricia M Brought

October 16, 2023 at 2:13 pm

As usual Pres Biden seeking to buy votes by releasing youths from their promised payment for goods or services received. Nice way of teaching our young people their word doesn’t mean anything. Nice surprise when the payment is due for the first loan they sign the dotted for.

13. inyoface

October 16, 2023 at 3:05 pm

Don’t student’s realize if someone else pay’s off their student debt, the program will never end and they will be on the hook for paying all future student’s debt FOREVER, so are they really saving anything? And why stop there, start paying off MORTGAGES, CAR LOAN’S, VACATION CRUISE’S ! Let them pay for those too (it’s only as fair as what they got). STUUUUPID !

14. EUGEN

October 16, 2023 at 3:09 pm

IT IS NOT THE JOB OF TAX PAYERS TO PAY. IT DOES NOT TEACH THESE KIDS RESPONSIBILITY THEY SIGNED FOR THOSE LOANS, WHY DOES BIDEN PUSH THIS INSANITY. FOR VOTES. BECAUSE NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WILL VOTE FOR THIS SENILE OLD FOOL. SO HE THINKS IF HE GIVES THIS LOAN FORGIVENESS MORONS WILL VOTE FOR HIM. BUT WE THE PEOPLE ARE AGAINST IT. WE ALL HAVE TO PAY OUR BILLS, WEATHER WE HAVE MONEY OR NOT.

15. Daniel Gray

October 16, 2023 at 3:15 pm

Sorry but no. Nothing I have read in the article can overturn SCOTUS’s EPA v West Virginia which clearly told Biden and his butt buddies in DC that neither Biden nor any of his department heads have the legal or constitutional authority to make a mandate or new rule and have it have the same authority as law. If Biden or his buddies want this they MUST have it passed by Congress or it cannot be done. So no matter what they say or do they cannot do squat unless its passed by BOTH houses of Congress.

16. GomeznSA

October 16, 2023 at 6:34 pm

NO one has come up with even a remote ‘reason’ how this is ‘fair’ (isn’t that what they are always harping about?) As others have noted, no one forced those students to take out the loans so why should anyone else be obligated to pay them off?
    Full disclosure – I paid off my student loans (and those of my ex as well). This smacks of extortion, plain and simple.

17. Bill

October 16, 2023 at 11:44 pm

Why should I pay somebody’s else’s bills I have my own bills to pay. making them pay their own loans will make them think the next time count the cost before they sign on the bottom. That is not what our tax money is for. I believe this is unconstitutional.

18. Jeremy

October 25, 2023 at 7:00 am

There is an acceptable way to get money to pay down student loans. Take a commission in the military.

19. Fernando Casas

December 8, 2023 at 11:00 am

My wife and I have 4 loans that we’re barrow for our 2 daughters not counting the ones they have each all so they could get a better education I’m not asking for help but when they are providing housing, food, cell phones and everything possible to illegals by the millions that when I say we need help to wich we do we are Americans citizens born here and we don’t desert any help really we are not asking for your help we’re asking to take care is us first before they provide for people who have not given to the system what ever is funding the illegals that money should go to help with education loans I don’t want your tax money but we do need help to.

20. lloyd Smith

February 5, 2024 at 7:00 am

This entire question and its resolve is basic and simple, If you borrow money and sign a contract then Your responsible for its payback. The two major issues are (1) the student were free Not to go to college and take out debt BUT THEY DID , Now Pay the Damb loans back. (2) All Biden wants is a way to pay for votes for a second term, that’s why he’s allowed an open border to Illegal’ and he’s given them freebies rather than helping his own U.S Citizens. The Democrats have for decades used money to keep votes coming in and keeping those to whom have rec’s the benefits beholding to the Dem’s. When are we the people going to Enough is Enough. Bring our country back to the people who have and continue to work to keep it GREAT.

21. bozo mctavish

February 22, 2024 at 7:01 pm

pay off my house too old man!!!