WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- A power outage in North Carolina left about 40,000 homes and businesses without power on Saturday.
- The Moore County Sheriff’s Office said the power outage is being investigated as a criminal act after two electric substations were attacked.
- A curfew was in effect in Moore county for Sunday night and a shelter was opened after the “targeted attack.”
A North Carolina county is still without power for a second night on Sunday after two electric substations were attacked on Saturday.
Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said the motive for the “targeted attack” is still unclear as the investigation is still ongoing. Fields added local, state and federal law enforcement agencies, including the FBI are involved in the investigation.
Schools are closed Monday due to outages.
Department of Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm wrote on Twitter that she had been in contact with Duke Energy Corp., the owner of the substations, and the Department of Energy was working with other agencies to investigate.
“FBI Charlotte is investigating the willful damage to power facilities in Moore County,” the FBI said in a statement. “We are in regular contact with local law enforcement and private sector partners.”
On Sunday, nearly 64% of Moore County’s electric customers remained without power on a freezing night. The power outage in Moore County began at about 7 p.m. Saturday for 40,000 residents and businesses.
It was “a targeted attack. It wasn’t random,” Fields said. Utility workers discovered gates were broken and equipment was damaged by multiple gunshots,
Jeff Brooks, the spokesperson for Duke Energy, said outages could stretch through Thursday due to the extent of the damage. He explained that there is equipment at the substations that need to be replaced or repaired.
A curfew was in effect for Sunday night and Moore County Sportsplex was opened as a shelter for those without power. The temporary shelter can hold up to 250 people, officials said.
State Senator Tom McInnis called the incident “a terrible act” and vowed that perpetrators will be “brought to justice.”
Sheriff Fields, who did not call the incident domestic terrorism, called the perpetrators “cowards.”
Source: Fox News