- Gen-Z For Change Activist claimed on social media that 30 percent of unarmed Black Americans are killed each year by police.
- The claim was pushed back on with factual statistics showing the number to be dramatically less than the activist had absurdly claimed.
- The Activist later posted a picture of himself in a hospital after the debate claiming the event caused it.
Every democratic society prides itself on open, constructive dialogue and the pursuit of truth. However, in recent years, we’ve witnessed a significant challenge to this ideal in the form of inflated or misrepresented statistics. One of these inflated statistics regards police shootings of unarmed civilians.
The purpose of this manipulation is often used by activists to gather support for specific political parties or agendas. It seems as though reality hit one of these activists so hard that it hospitalized him.
The event took place on Twitter where a “Gen-Z for Change” Activist by the twitter handle @hellyeahjeremy claimed that 30% of unarmed Black American are shot and killed by police every year. This whopper of an over exaggeration was quickly smacked down by another Twitter user in real time.
You can listen to the full exchange below, but be advised there is quite a bit of swearing in the exchange.
After getting thoroughly annihilated on the reality of the statistics the young activist posted the following picture of himself in a hospital bed:
Jeremy’s describes himself as a “Democrat 21yr old activist passionate about fighting for social justice & equality for all.” and wrote that he is a content creator for “genzforchange”.
After posting the picture of himself in the hospital the story quickly started to go viral.
After doing some research on the actual statistics Jeremy took to Twitter again to post the following:
There was zero evidence provided that any publishing of personal information occurred. If there was, then of course that is inexcusable and wrong.
It is unfortunate that this happened and no one wishes harm on this young man, in fact we wish only the best and hopefully for him to see the errs of his ways. I hope it is a wake up call to anyone who blindly trusts narratives before doing their homework. This kind of activism is childish and does far more harm to their cause than any good promoting the falsity ever could.
Inflating these numbers, as this activist has done in an effort to consolidate support, is both dangerous and irresponsible. Here’s why:
1. Erosion of Public Trust: Misrepresentation of data, especially on such sensitive issues, erodes public trust in institutions, leaders, and media outlets. When the truth eventually surfaces, it leads to widespread cynicism and undermines the credibility of those who amplified the inaccurate figures.
2. Polarization of Society: Inflated statistics, especially when used to demonize a particular group (in this case, the police), can deepen societal divisions and fuel further conflict. Instead of promoting understanding and reconciliation, it propagates an “us versus them” mentality.
3. Manipulation of the Electorate: Using inflated numbers to encourage voting for a particular party undermines the democratic process. Citizens should make their voting decisions based on accurate information and thoughtful consideration of the issues, not fear-mongering or manipulation.