U.S. News
Twitter apologizes for Trump’s conspiracy tweets about Joe Scarborough

- Twitter has now apologized for “the pain” caused by President Trump’s conspiracy tweets regarding MSNBC host Joe Scarborough and the late Lori Klausutis.
- The president had been claiming that Scarborough is responsible for Klausutis’s 2001 death, prompting Klausutis’s widower to implore Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to delete the tweets.
- The social media giant is now set to put policy changes in place to address similar issues.
President Trump had been tweeting for several weeks that MSNBC host Joe Scarborough is responsible for the death of Lori Klausutis in 2001. Klausutis was a staffer who died in Scarborough’s office when he was a Republican congressman.
The tweets have received significant backlash from lawmakers on both parties, as well as the families of Scarborough and Klausutis.
Mika Brzezinski, Scarborough’s wife, demanded to speak with Twitter management last week to discuss the said tweets.
Timothy J. Klausutis, Klausutis’s widower, had written a letter to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to implore him to delete the tweets, which he said are distorting his wife’s memory.
This prompted the social media giant to issue an apology and make several policy changes.
According to The Washington Post, there was no suspected foul play in Klausutis’s death, which was ruled an accident by the medical examiner.
But the president continued to tweet about Klausutis’ death on Tuesday morning.
The same day, Scarborough condemned Trump’s tweets. Brzezinski then read Klausutis’s letter to Dorsey.
Klausutis had written, “Nearly 19 years ago, my wife, who had an undiagnosed heart condition, fell and hit her head on her desk at work. She was found dead the next morning. Her name is Lori Kaye Klausutis and she was 28 years old when she died.”
“Her passing is the single most painful thing that I have ever had to deal with in my 52 years and continues to haunt her parents and sister. I have mourned my wife every day since her passing,” he continued.
Klausutis shared how he has “struggled to move forward” with his life because of the “constant barrage of falsehoods, half-truths, innuendo and conspiracy theories since the day she died.”
“These conspiracy theorists, including most recently the President of the United States, continue to spread their bile and misinformation on your platform disparaging the memory of my wife and our marriage,” Klausutis wrote.
He continued, “President Trump on Tuesday tweeted to his nearly 80 million followers alluding to the repeatedly debunked falsehood that my wife was murdered by her boss, former U.S. Rep. Joe Scarborough. My request is simple: Please delete these tweets.”
Twitter promptly issued a statement of apology.
A spokesperson for the social media giant told Fox News, “We are deeply sorry about the pain these statements, and the attention they are drawing, are causing the family.”
“We’ve been working to expand existing product features and policies so we can more effectively address things like this going forward, and we hope to have those changes in place shortly.”
Source: FOX News